[Dixielandjazz] Swingin' Beethoven?

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 17:57:06 +0000

Hi Listmates,

Dave Richoux asks:

>a listener called me during my show to ask if I knew the Beethoven
>composition that had a particularly distinctive "swing" rhythm or
>syncopation to it. He said he had heard it a few years ago on another
>station but did not catch the name.

>Any Ideas?

For some reason this reminded me of the fact that Von B's Symphony number 7
is known as the "rhythmic symphony." I'm gonna go listen to it again right
now and see if anything "jazzy" emerges. You never know . . . I do recall
hearing a performance conducted by Kurt Mazur that (at least to me) really
swung!

Other than that, nothing in particular comes to mind.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Love the Von" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com