[Dixielandjazz] OKOM Dance - Modern Jazz Listen - Mainstream?

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 00:55:18 EST

--part1_131.18d682b9.2b47d146_boundary

barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:

> I agree with you "generally". I think there might be some exceptions
> where some OKOM bands (Or Dixieland if you prefer) have become very
> serious regarding their presentation of "Art Form" music. They seek the
> listeners and even sometimes relegate the dancers to the back of the
> room so as not to intrude on the "listeners" concentration. And some try
> and play difficult arrangements (for them) which results in a
> non-swinging music that you can't dance to. And they get huffy if the
> noise level in the joint is too loud.
>
> And some jazz societies / clubs in the USA relegate dancers to the back
> of the room, or discourage it so as not to interfere with the listeners
> "concentration". Especially in their monthly concerts. And the serious
> listeners "shush" others.
>
> Don't we sometimes get full of ourselves, about the "seriousness" of
> OKOM as presented by the Doofus 6?  As if we are going to hear a
> reincarnation of Teagarden, or Beebe, or Wild Bill?  (Not in my
> lifetime, I'm afraid)
>
> And sometimes when Barbone Street plays concerts at High School
> Auditoriums, University Concert Halls, etc., these venues tell us no
> dancing in the aisles. "Don't encourage your swing dancers to attend",
> citing insurance reasons. Good way to kill the music as I see it so I
> put swing dancers on the stage with us if they want to come dance.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

   I have always felt that good dixieland jazz should make you feel like
dancing alathough you don't actually have to be up dancing.  If the rhythm is
right the dance impulse will be irresitible.  These days however, there is
lots of dixieland jazz with lousy time and rhythm and consequently does not
make you feel like dancing.

Good Swing and Mainstream will have the same effect.

( my deep thoughts for the day)

Jim Beebe

--part1_131.18d682b9.2b47d146_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3>In a message dated 1/3/03 6:30:15 PM Central Standard Time, barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
I agree with you "generally". I think there might be some exceptions<BR>
where some OKOM bands (Or Dixieland if you prefer) have become very<BR>
serious regarding their presentation of "Art Form" music. They seek the<BR>
listeners and even sometimes relegate the dancers to the back of the<BR>
room so as not to intrude on the "listeners" concentration. And some try<BR>
and play difficult arrangements (for them) which results in a<BR>
non-swinging music that you can't dance to. And they get huffy if the<BR>
noise level in the joint is too loud.<BR>
<BR>
And some jazz societies / clubs in the USA relegate dancers to the back<BR>
of the room, or discourage it so as not to interfere with the listeners<BR>
"concentration". Especially in their monthly concerts. And the serious<BR>
listeners "shush" others.<BR>
<BR>
Don't we sometimes get full of ourselves, about the "seriousness" of<BR>
OKOM as presented by the Doofus 6?&nbsp; As if we are going to hear a<BR>
reincarnation of Teagarden, or Beebe, or Wild Bill?&nbsp; (Not in my<BR>
lifetime, I'm afraid)<BR>
<BR>
And sometimes when Barbone Street plays concerts at High School<BR>
Auditoriums, University Concert Halls, etc., these venues tell us no<BR>
dancing in the aisles. "Don't encourage your swing dancers to attend",<BR>
citing insurance reasons. Good way to kill the music as I see it so I<BR>
put swing dancers on the stage with us if they want to come dance.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Steve</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I have always felt that good dixieland jazz should make you feel like dancing alathough you don't actually have to be up dancing.&nbsp; If the rhythm is right the dance impulse will be irresitible.&nbsp; These days however, there is lots of dixieland jazz with lousy time and rhythm and consequently does not make you feel like dancing. <BR>
<BR>
Good Swing and Mainstream will have the same effect.<BR>
<BR>
( my deep thoughts for the day)<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe <BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_131.18d682b9.2b47d146_boundary--