[Dixielandjazz] OKOM Dance - Modern Jazz Listen - Mainstream?

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 19:33:03 -0500

Dan Spink wrote (polite snip)

"It seems to describe the essential difference (to me) between OKOM and
what is usually thought of as "modern jazz" including Miles Davis's and
Dizzie Gillespie's bop music. You don't have to have a "dance band" to
make music that makes you feel like dancing and that's what OKOM does so
often. However, modern jazz (for me) does not. In other words, it's a
totally different listening experience. I feel and want to move with
OKOM. Modern jazz I think is music that makes you withdraw into yourself
and contemplate and cool jazz makes great background music for this
reason; especially if you're in a dark cellar where musicians wear dark
glasses and say "cool" things while they play. Does anyone agree with me
or am I out on a lonely limb (again)?"

Dan & List mates:

I agree with you "generally". I think there might be some exceptions
where some OKOM bands (Or Dixieland if you prefer) have become very
serious regarding their presentation of "Art Form" music. They seek the
listeners and even sometimes relegate the dancers to the back of the
room so as not to intrude on the "listeners" concentration. And some try
and play difficult arrangements (for them) which results in a
non-swinging music that you can't dance to. And they get huffy if the
noise level in the joint is too loud.

And some jazz societies / clubs in the USA relegate dancers to the back
of the room, or discourage it so as not to interfere with the listeners
"concentration". Especially in their monthly concerts. And the serious
listeners "shush" others.

Don't we sometimes get full of ourselves, about the "seriousness" of
OKOM as presented by the Doofus 6?  As if we are going to hear a
reincarnation of Teagarden, or Beebe, or Wild Bill?  (Not in my
lifetime, I'm afraid)

And sometimes when Barbone Street plays concerts at High School
Auditoriums, University Concert Halls, etc., these venues tell us no
dancing in the aisles. "Don't encourage your swing dancers to attend",
citing insurance reasons. Good way to kill the music as I see it so I
put swing dancers on the stage with us if they want to come dance.

Like you I want dancers first, because then you know you are swinging
whether you are playing 2 beat, 3 beat or 4 beat or even 5 beat or more,
for that matter. It doesn't matter how many beats you play, or what the
syncopation is, as long as they move to it.

Cheers,
Steve

PS. What about "mainstream" jazz. Is it OKOM or Modern? Either way, IMO
Mainstream is, or should be danceable jazz.