[Dixielandjazz] Re: Berry Gordy autobiography

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 17:21:53 -0500

At 12:23 PM 1/3/2003 -0600, you wrote:

> Bold of you to post this, but glad you did. Thanks.
> Every Christmas, I bring out my little cassette of the Temptations performing
> Christmas music, just so I can hear them sing their funky R&B version of
> "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer." Very, very "Motown"!

Hi Nancy. I can't recall whether I've heard Rudolph, but I love the Drifters'
"White Christmas"!

Speaking of the Drifters, Dixielanders looking for "Oldies" to update their
repertoires somewhat without getting into modern pop beats, should check out
"Fools fall in love", which is a shuffle beat tune that can be rocked ala Louis
Prima or Louis Jordan...

> What?!? Not enough nitty-gritty details? Are you referring to music, or
> things like: what kind of lingerie did Dianna Ross wear? ;)

Well, there was a lot of good/bad gossip about personnel clashes, questionable
business practices, etc., he might have included...

Incidently, as I recall, Gordy was one of the first to use large mixing boards;
whatever, he put all sorts of stuff into the mix, even used a banjo on at least
a couple of records. Much of it just passes quickly, but one can hear it by
listening attentively with headphones...

--Sheik