[Dixielandjazz] Re: Given ("christian") names - Bix vs Bismark

norrie.thomson norrie.thomson at btopenworld.com
Fri Feb 28 08:14:19 PST 2003

Anton

In the Prologue, Page 17, Sudhalter explains why Bix was named 'Bix'. His
father was called Bismark Herman Beiderbecke and known to the family as
'Bix', this being the diminutive of Bismark. At page 23, Bix's sister is
quoted as saying that the correct namne was Leon Bix.

The copy birth certificate at page 26 was produced on January 30, 1963 and
signed by the Clerk to the District Court of Scott County.  Unless this
certificate is a forgery, I would assume that it is correct and that,
indeed, Baix was 'Bix' and not Bismark. I will accept the evidence given by
Sudhalter until such time as anyone can prove him wrong.

Norrie

Norrie Thomson
Edinburgh
Scotland