[Dixielandjazz] fame

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Thu Feb 27 11:18:52 PST 2003

Hi All,

Fame can be a deception. Some few years ago I used to help out at the local
theatre when they had pop concerts which attracted the local teeny-boppers
(for Brits the groups were the likes of Darts, Mud, Shawaddywaddy and evn the
Bay City Rollers - won't mean a lot to the Yanks!) Just tried to prevent the
kids storming the stage or creeping in through the exits for nothing etc. It
was great fun really and most, but not all, of the groups were made up of
nice guys with a professional attitude to their work.

The manager of the theatre usually acted like a fairground barker in the
foyer before the show encouraging the sale of programmes and commenting on
the people coming through the front doors into the theatre. On one occassion
as I walked in Dick called out over the foyer PA, "Just come in, Jerry Brown
star or stage and screen and leader of a Band Of Renown - all the stars are
here tonight!" Three of the young teenagers immediately asked for my
autograph and went off as pleased as punch when I obliged!

I'm certainly not famous but I knew then how it felt - great!

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.