[Dixielandjazz] Fame

PLadd36932 at aol.com PLadd36932 at aol.com
Wed Feb 26 14:19:31 PST 2003

In a message dated 26/02/03 17:21:54 GMT Standard Time, stridepiano at tesco.net
writes:

> Fame, like pregnancy, is an absolute condition

Sorry John, I dont think that statement is tenable. To make that stick you
would have to apply `famous` only to someone who is known to everyone in the
world. Clearly not possible.
What is generally assumed is `famous within a certain group`. Some of those
groups will be larger than others so there are  different degrees of fame
involved. Therefore `fame` cannot be an absolute.
I would certainly agree that there are many purportedly `famous` people these
days who do not deserve the accolade, indeed I am constantly amazed by the
lists of famous people which appear in the news  of whom I have never heard.

Now Stanley Matthews was famous!

Cheers

PatL (World famous down our street)