[Dixielandjazz] Fame

Jeanne Brei TinPanAlleyCat at lvcm.com
Wed Feb 26 09:45:00 PST 2003

Oh, John, I really must disagree -- I think there are varying levels of fame
and I believe that Steve Barbeone, John Farrell, Bill Gunter and Bob Romans
are all famous in their fields and if Steve says he's locally famous, he
probably is. Many people base their decisions to go to certain festivals
based on which musicians are going to be there -- and those musicians must
enjoy a certain level of fame in order for that to happen.
    Besides, by your definition -- Bob Hope isn't famous because he used to
schedule trips to China-- where no one knew who he was--so he could walk
down the street and not be bothered by strangers. There will always be
somewhere on the planet or in the galaxy that someone will not know you --
and it doesn't matter who you are -- Even Muhammad Ali isn't that famous --
it's been so many years since he was in the news that I bet he could go to a
public school in America and most of the kids wouldn't know who he is.
    Fame is the recognition that others give you -- and when you go to the
Sacramento Jazz Festival and see hundreds of fans cheering on a Dixieland
band or a zydeco band or a swing band at the Ramp - know that that level of
fame is just about right for what you do. When you go to festivals, everyone
knows who you are -- and many ask you to autograph your recordings -- that's
what I call a comfortable level of fame. Personally, I wouldn't want to be
as famous as Madonna and have to worry about camera lenses peering at me
outside of the bushes everywhere I go -- or as the Duchess of York where the
paparazzi crawled on his belly for miles to get the images of her
toe-sucking affair. It's fun to be "locally" famous -- or "famous in your
field" but why anyone would want to give up ALL their privacy and be
"mega-superstar" famous for the rest of their lives is beyond me. Besides
when the superstars do concerts, normally you can't hear any of the music
because the audience is screaming so loudly!
Jeanne Brei
Tin Pan Alley Cat Entertainment
Las Vegas, NV
http://hometown.aol.com/jmbrei/myhomepage/resume.html