[Dixielandjazz] Re: Grammy Awards and OKOM

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 26 00:08:07 PST 2003

>Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:56:38 -0500
>From: Stephen Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
>
>Dan Augustine writes about the Grammy Awards and OKOM; (polite snip)
>Where the hell is 'Dixieland' or 'Traditional Jazz'?
>
>Dan & :List Mates:
>Sad to say, Dixieland or Traditional Jazz (OKOM) is not big enough to
>register on the radar scope of "Jazz" let alone music these days.
>We need to face the fact that past is past. OKOM is great music, but we
>ain't setting the world on fire with it. We have no mass audience for
>the genre. Most of us who play it, give it away and that is an
>indication of it's value, no?
>Cheers,
>Steve Barbone
**-----------------------------------------------------------------------**
     I guess you're right. We don't deserve notice. We better die
right now, save the audiences the messy job of killing us themselves
by staying away. There's no point in playing this stuff anyway,
because nobody loves us or the music and never will.  I guess i
really don't like it either, don't know why i bother playing it and
listening to it and reading about it.  Just something to do that
doesn't really matter. The audiences are really putting us on to
laugh at us when they show up and pretend to have a good time.
There's no point to it, it's useless, just as life is.  Hand me that
knife, there, would you?

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine    Austin, Texas   ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu     **
**  "It is easy enough to find a theory, logically harmonious and     **