[Dixielandjazz] Trombone

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Feb 25 15:51:57 PST 2003

Brad Gowans has a combo slide/valve trombone, built for him in the key of C
rather than B flat. That way he could play off the sheet music without
needing to transpose. His slide section only had four positions and he used
it primarily to make those glisses that are harder to make on valve
(though some of us do a fairly decent one with lip and half valve.
Bob worked with a small combo that included Gen Estes on drums and vibes.
Gene and I were high school bandmates along with John Williams, Perry
Botkin, Jr., John Bambridge, and Mel Pollan, who was Les Browns's bassist
for many years.
Gene was not only a fine drummer, but a fine vibraphonist.
Don Ingle