[Dixielandjazz] Latin Influence - Kenton

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Tue Feb 25 11:00:32 PST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:41:23 -0600 (CST) mensa-1 at webtv.net (william
crist) writes:

> While going through some of my Stan Kenton albums to find the
> arranger
> for Peanut Vendor ( it shows Kenton as the arranger) ,   I was
> struck by
> the amount of songs he recorded that had a Latin influence.
> An album called "A Concert InProgressive Jazz" has several such as
> "elegy for alto"-"Cuban Carnival"-"Introduction to a Latin Rhythm"
> and
> several others.
>
> Another album "The Lighter Side" has "His Feet Too Big For De
> Bed"-Tortillas and Beans"-Down in Chihuahua" -"And The Bull Walked
> Around All Day,Olay."
> This album is also the one that has "Hot Canary" and "Blues in
> Burlesque.
>
> Not OKOM but interesting how he seemed to be influenced by Latin
> rhythms.

And his "Viva Kenton!" album is all Latin-influenced: Mexican Jumping
Bean, Siesta, Cha Cha Sombrero, Chocolate Caliente, Aqua Marine, Opus in
Carttreuse Cha Cha Cha, Cha Cha Chee Boom, Adios, Mission Trail, Artistry
in Rhythm.

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://www.timesunion.com/communities/jazz