[Dixielandjazz] Re: Latin influences in OKOM

briantowers briantowers at msn.com
Tue Feb 25 00:30:30 PST 2003

Thank goodness some-one has mentioned Jelly Roll Morton at last.   I was
beginning to despair and I was wondering where the jazz scholars had got to!

Morton's early works sometimes contained a latin influence, or "the Spanish
tinge" as he preferred to call it. "Mamamita" which he recorded as a piano
solo in 1924 (he did not copyright it) is one example.  "Jelly Roll Blues"
also recorded in 1924, is another example of the use of the "Spanish Tinge"
Quite a while before anyone's version of the Peanut Vendor!

Later in 1938  we hear "Creepy Feeling" and"Spanish Swat" also  with the
latin feel etc.

Luis has also reminded us that New Orleans was under Spanish control for a
hundred years or so until 1800.  It is not hard to realise why there was
often a latin streak in some early jazz and pre-jazz!
Cheers,
Brian Towers,

> The Latin influences in OKOM is, arguable, one of the most important
> historically after the black and the slavery.
> New Orleans was under Spanish government for most of the 1700 until 1800.
In
> 1803 the French sold Louisiana to USA.
> >From Louis Moreau Gottschalk, to the first important trumpeter Manuel
Perez,
> to chano Pozo (drummer of Gillespie), Juan Tizol (Duke trombonist and
> composer) and Mario Bauza (first trumpet and clarinetist of Chick Webb,
> Calloway).
> >From the afrocuban rhythm to tango (listen to J.R. Morton`s new Orleans
> joys, and others: Egyptian  fantasy and tiger rag itself, etc.).
> W:C: Handy travel to Cuba to learn music.
> La habanera, ritmo cubano, has influence in the rag and blues. This was
> possible due to the American troops invading Cuba in 1888, since then they
> never gave back guantanamo bay to the Cubans. Ho yes they gave the
> ``independence`` to the Cubans after a while but  took over Puerto  rico,
> Guam and filipinas Island. Since then a lot of Cuban came to N O. and New
> York and  black musician went to Cuba.
> The famous clarinetist Lorenzo and LuisTio, were born in Mexico. And you
> know better their influence in OKOM.
> There were and there are discrimination too: J. Dorsey once said about
Mario