[Dixielandjazz] Re: music training / who did the first generation of jazzers listen to?

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Mon Feb 24 20:15:13 PST 2003

Young folks also have not had the exposure to Louis Armstrong, Art Tatum,
Fats Waller, Lester Young, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Monk, Miles, et al.
Both time and exposure to good (=okom??)  music are essential elements.  On
the other hand, who did the first generation of jazzers listen to?  Wish I'd
have thought to ask Ed "Montudie" Garland that question over the many years
we were friends.  Could throw in Johnny St. Cyr and a few others who were
around the scene circa WWI.   Any thoughts, gang?

 Dick B