[Dixielandjazz] Don Ingle on easy instruments

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Sun Feb 23 15:56:27 PST 2003

Don Ingle has had the effrontery to sugges that the trombone is the easiest
instrument to play.  This statement is belied by the simple fact that there
are so few good trombonists around.

Don, an excellent trumpet player, is also adept on the valve trombone and
therein, possibly, lies the confusion.  Yes, a valve trombone is relatively
easy to play but the slide trombone is another matter altogether.  Even
thought they both use basically the same mouthpiece and embouchure, there is
a world of difference in playing the two.  It takes a tremendous amount of
practice and study to play the slide trombone decently.

While there have been some notable players on the valve trombone, in the end,
it is still a valve trombone and give and take technical execution, they all
sound the same.  You cannot get the unique and suble tonal distinctions on
valve trombone that you can get on the slide trombone.  Take Bill Harris and
Jack Teagden for example.  Two completely different trombone sounds and
styles.  You can't find anything comparable among the valve trombone crowd.

Lest anyone think that I may be biased let me say that I have nothing against
the valve trombone...and let me add that I have nothing for it, either.

Teagardenly yours,

Jim Beebe