[Dixielandjazz] Question !

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Sun Feb 23 12:10:34 PST 2003

>>>In my book the drums are the engine room and heartbeat of the band. <<<

     True....I'm not a drummer, but when I'm called for a gig, usually the
first thing I want to know is who is playing drums?
     I would have been a drummer if it were not for all the claptrap they
have to schlep around.  If the drummer isn't good, the whole band is bad.
     Re: the easiest instrument?  Most are responding to easiest to
play.....few are responding to easiest to play well.
     I'm a bass player, (acoustic & electric, both conspicuously absent from
the list of choices).  I regard it as very easy to play, and have often
wondered why more people don't play it.  I also wonder why any of them play
it badly.
    Pat Cooke