[Dixielandjazz] Easiest instrument

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sun Feb 23 13:08:32 PST 2003

I think that some tenor sax men play in a manner that makes it seems so
easy...just flows like there's no work to it. My prime favorite in this
regard were Eddie Miller and the Prez. Seemingly effortless flow of ideas,
sound, basic simplicity (or so it seemed) that made you relax and swing
along vicariously.
Even my own father, more noted for his comedic skills than his tenor sax,
was very much in the Eddie Miller mode, and on baritone sax he was linked to
the hip with Ernie Caceres. For any one lucky enough to have the Ted Weems
recording of Running Wild with Orm Downes' terrific drumming, there are a
few half choruses of solo Red Ingle tenor sax to hear -- though Weems was
not big on featuring saxophone solos - usually featured
clarinet solo's by Rosy McHargue or Don Watts earlier.
In the right hands, the tenor sax is a wonderful axe -- in the hands of a
R&R honker it is the instrument of the Devil. At such times one might cry
out -- "Where are you Bud Freeman when we need you?"
Don Ingle