[Dixielandjazz] Trummy/Barney Recollection

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Thu Feb 20 14:16:22 PST 2003

To the best of my recollection, Trummy looked like he had a good tan.  I can understand why he'd look white, especially in the company of darker members of his race.  Barney Bigard, a creole, looked absolutely white.  This got him into constant trouble when he traveled in the deep south with Duke or Louis.   He had many stories on this subject.  A sad situation for all.   Dick