[Dixielandjazz] HOAGY CARMICHAEL/ BIX BEIDERBECKE TEST PRESS!

Anton Crouch a.crouch at unsw.edu.au
Thu Feb 20 12:07:09 PST 2003

Hello Don

Sorry, but you misread my post. I specifically noted that the sides were
recorded in 1930.

The "late 1930s-early 1940s" referred to the date of release of the English
HMV pressing, catalogue number B-8549. Collectors are always seeking out
test pressings but, generally, those contemporaneous with the first release
(in this case, American Victors 25494 and 23013, 18 July 1930 and 14
November 1930 respectively) hold more promise. Who knows? It's unlikely but
not impossible that the unissued takes of these sides could turn up - both
were marked "hold 30 days".

Off-list, a colleague has told me that English HMV B-8549 falls into the
time frame January-June 1937. That's precise.

All the best
Anton