[Dixielandjazz] Ruby Braff - Louis Armstrong

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 15 16:25:18 PST 2003

Pat Cooke and Luis Flores liken Braff to Armstrong. I don't hear him
that way. Braff has a very different style. Pat's thought that Louis
might have played like Braff had he continued to improve and innovate
does not resonate with me.

But what is the difference? Braff, and Louis were great players. Both
largely self taught, like Bix, Sidney Bechet and Chet Baker. Interesting
that such things went together to result in great styles from each of
them. Maybe we need to shut the music schools down?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone