[Dixielandjazz] Ruby Braff

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Fri Feb 14 21:34:59 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/14/03 7:44:22 PM Central Standard Time,
james at jiming.demon.co.uk writes:

> Did I miss something? Ruby Braff passed away and I have so far seen no
> >comments on the list.
> >Surely someone must have some reminiscences of the man?
> >Brian Harvey

Jim Denham's reply to this was just right.  Brian is right, there should be a
lot of commentary on Ruby Braff.  Ruby was very quotable as he was an
unrepentent curmudgeon and a master of outrageous comment on other musicians.
 And      masterful comments on music and his favorite musicians, as well.

I first met Ruby at a party in Toronto in 1968.  I was there with Bob Scobey
and one night Ruby came in and plunked himself right down in front of the
band.  He gave an attentive ear to Scobey's trumpet playing.  At a party
later that night, Ruby lit into a 2 hour dissertation on Louis Armstrong that
was absolutely fascinating.
Ruby had been working with Benny Goodman and he said that Goodman was
pathologically jealous of Armstrong and to nourish that, Ruby would cut out
every good review that he found about Louis and would place it on Benny's
music stand.

Ruby worshipped Louis Armstrong and told of going to see him at a club in New
York he was performing in.  Ruby ended up sitting at a table with Lennie
Tristano. During the set Louis played a very slow and beautiful , "Tenderly."
 At the end Tristano remarked to Ruby, " I don't get it , what is so great
about this guy."  With this, Ruby jumped up and shouted at Lennie, " Now I
know why your music is so fucking lousy, you don't know good music when you
hear it."

To me, Ruby Braff's musicality is on a lofty par with Jack Teagarden. Both
had a beautiful and very personal sound, a marvelous sense of melodic line
along with an innate creative harmonic sense.  And all of this brought
together and made possible with a unique and very flexible technique.  Very
few cornetists/trumpeters can get around their horns with the ease and
facillity that Ruby Braff could.

The brilliant British jazz writer and radio presenter Steve Voce has hours of
recorded conversations with Ruby.  Many are hoping that these will be made
available either as recordings or transcribed in print.

There is one interview, written, I think, by Whitney Balliett for the New
Yorker in which Ruby carries on about playing in clubs.  Surprisingly, Ruby
candidly Ruby says that he likes to hear people talking, glasses clinking,
the waiter dropping a tray and things like that.  To him it meant that people
were alive and engaged in life'... or something like that, I"ve forgotten his
exact words.

I wonder if anybody has access to that interview and could post it.

Ruby Braff was devoted to the 'Adoration of the Melody' but we should not
forget that he was a very capable of playing Dixieland Jazz and could play
very good ensemble.  He was absolutely one of the greats.

Jim Beebe

     JEm