[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Beal

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Thu Feb 13 22:52:25 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/13/03 4:26:10 PM Central Standard Time,
richard.broadie at gte.net writes:

> Al, my late friend and musician/partner of about 10 years - Charlie Beal (He
> played piano in the film with Louis et al) had the job of teaching this
> song to Billie Holiday since she didn't read music.   In the hundreds of
> performances I shared with Charlie, I can't remember ever hearing the
> verse.  I'd appreciate if you'd send it to me too.   Dick

   I"ve always wondered about Charlie Beal.  He played some fine piano with
Louis on the soundtrack of the fim, "New Orleans".  Maybe, Dick you can fill
us in on him.  How did he happen to be in that film?  He
seemed to disappear or at least I never heard of him again.  That Llneup with
Louis, Kid ORy and all was great.  They did a few sides that came out on RCA
and the Mahagony Hall stomp from that session was Louis' finest ever, IMHO.

   Jim Beebe