[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in New York City
barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 13 15:33:24 PST 2003
Jazz Jerry asked about jazz in NYC which is still the jazz capitol of
the world. To add to what Tom Duncan suggested here are some more places
To Jerry and any others who may visit NYC.
1) THE CAJUN (Tom suggested) has Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks
Monday and Thursday. DO NOT MISS this 11 or so piece band with 1920s
arrangements. Some of the usual members are Jon Erik Kellso and Dan
Levinson. Great band. 129 8th Ave (at 16th St) 212-691-6174.
2) CAFE CARLYLE Woody Allen's N.O. Jazz Band Monday Nights Madison Ave
at 76th Street. Must make table reservations. 8:45 PM show. 212-570-7189
3) ARTHUR'S TAVERN 57 Grove Street, Jazz 7 Nights , Creole Food.
4) KNICKERBOCKER, 33 University Place (at 9th Street) Trad Jazz
5) ARTURO'S 106 West Houston St. Trad Jazz 7 Nights 212-677-3920
6) BIRDLAND (Tom recommended) 315 W 44TH ST. Check for Gully Low Jazz
7) IRIDIUM 1650 Broadway (at 51st St.) LES PAUL ON MONDAY NIGHTS
There are a whole bunch of other clubs presenting the more modern forms
of jazz but I take it you do not wish to pursue those.
Suggest you call venues in advance to confirm music and times. Also
suggest you split Monday between Woody Allen and Les Paul if you can.
You may never get another chance to see them.
There is also a New York City Jazz Hotline at 718-465-7500.
You may be coming in The City in a snow storm so don't get nervous if
you circle around for a while. And if you get to Philadelphia 100 miles
South call me at 610-998-0431. Barbone Street is gigging on Wednesday
Night the 19th at West Chester (PA) University from 8 to 10 PM with
vocalist Connie Rainis. It will be a great show if you like Chicago or
Condon Style Jazz.
More information about the Dixielandjazz