[Dixielandjazz] Re: flukes (playing washboards on.)

martha benson foxxygma at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 12:21:29 PST 2003

a fluke  also is a nasty wormlike creature that gets in your liver and eats you alive from the inside.
 Bill Gunter <jazzboard at hotmail.com> wrote:Hi listmates and also picky-picky Bill Hildebrandt!

I wrote:

". . . somehow I wound up playing washboard on a fluke."

to which Bill H. writ:

>Now, being an old salt-water fisherman, I know that a fluke is a sort of
>sea-going flounder, which as most folk know is a very flat fish. What I'd
>like to know is how it feels playing the washboard sitting on a flat fish?

If the flounder is still feeding at the bottom of the sea it would be damned
uncomfortable! If, on the other hand, it was a halibut and it was lying on
the deck of the boat where I had just hauled it in (a big one, about 5 feet
long!) I'd probably be quite happy to sit on it and play a victory song to
celebrate my catch.

However, this is all simply blather because the second definition in my
dictionary for this word (fluke) is:

fluke2 n

1. something surprising or unexpected that happens by accident (informal)

So there you have it. If you want to play the washboard go fishing!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "I caught my limit, too!" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com