[Dixielandjazz] language usage - "sprung"

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 13 09:44:46 PST 2003

on 2/13/03 2:00 AM, Bill Gunter at jazzboard at hotmail.com wrote:

> many dictionaries list
> "sprung" as the SIMPLE PAST as well as the past participle.

    Holy smoke, Bill!  You, as a former English teacher, should know that
the makers of dictionaries no longer list proper usage!  They merely list
what is currently in use by waves of the unwashed.

    I first noticed this idiocy in the movie title, "Honey, I Shrunk the
Kids."  Not "I shrank" but "I shrunk."  I thought people would laugh.  Boy,
was I wrong!  Nobody seemed to notice!  Or. if they did notice, they seemed
to agree with the idiocy.

    Hey, Bill: it's still "shrink shrank shrunk" and will remain that way
until our generation is dead or in retirement homes or otherwise removed
from the reading public.  You should be in MY corner on this!  Ummm.....

cordially,
Charlie