[Dixielandjazz] Harry Reser CD

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Thu Feb 13 00:41:03 PST 2003

Just letting everyone know that a CD has been compiled consisting of Harry
Reser Cliquot Club and Syncopators 78rpm records from the compiler's
collection. Not a comprehensive or systematic selection, just what happens
to be in the collection of a discerning and knowledgeable collector.

The compilation was made at my suggestion, since there's so little Reser
out on CD. The most commonly available Cliquot Club record is "At sundown";
it might be available to hear on http://www.redhotjazz.com. I just love
this record, for being a good band playing a really good 1920s arrangement,
and the active presence of Reser on so much of it, sometimes filling in the
background, sometimes playing short breaks, sometimes short solos. My
friend said that virtually all tracks have about as much Reser as "At
sundown", and the music is of similar calibre.

Note that the currently available "Cliquot Club" CD consists of radio
tracks from the 1940s or 50s, NOT these original 1920s records. Personally,
I really like the 20s stuff much more. (The 2 "Six Jumping Jacks" CDs on
TOM are sort of hokum music, with virtually no Reser action.)

About 26 tracks on an audio CD-R. These are not processed in any way and
the sound is full and rich, so that one quickly gets used to the surface
noise--I don't find it to be obtrucive on the other CDs he's made me.

The cost will be $11.00-$12.00 postpaid. Note that it will be in a baggy,
not a jewel box, and the only paper work will be a track list. Nothing
fancy, but carefully done to make the music available.

So start slobbering with anticipation. I'll get ordering information to you
after I get back from Allenberry Banjo Festival, where I hope to listen to
the copy I'm picking up on the way there.

If you're interested, let me know so he can get started on duplicating them...

--Sheik