[Dixielandjazz] Al Hirt, Bob Havens, and Eternity

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Wed Feb 12 12:26:23 PST 2003

>>and then i played Hirt's first LP for Audio
Fidelity (AFLP 1877, from 1958) called "Al Hirt Swingin' Dixie! at
Dan's Pier 600 in New Orleans", not expecting very much.  I mean, i
don't think i've played it in 10 years, and only maybe five times in
the last 40 years.  But (and here's where i'm coming to my point), i <<<

No need to apologize for liking Al Hirt, Dan.  During his prime he was an
absolutely dazzling trumpet player.  The records he made when he was at
Dan's were some of the best.  Unfortunately, somewhere along the line his
health started to deteriorate, and his playing went downhill as well.
Sadly, he still recorded as his playing declined; and many base their
opinions of his playing on what they heard on these recordings.
    I was at his last performance before he died...it was pitiful.  He had
more than a few ailments, and had to be helped onto the stand; and when he
started to play, he was awful....He sounded like a beginner, or worse.  It
seemed like the longest set I ever sat through.  It was so sad, considering
how he played when he was on top.
     No, he never sounded like Louis, or Bunk; and I never  thought he was
supposed to, nor did Al.  In fact I never thought that any player was
supposed to sound like another player.  I always thought the idea was to
play a little different from all the others.  Al was different enough for
the purists to dislike him, though most of them couldn't begin to play
anything close to his playing.   But then, there are no purists on this
list........are there?
      Pat Cooke