[Dixielandjazz] Washboards redux

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Mon Feb 10 15:01:09 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/9/03 10:55:02 PM, jazzboard at hotmail.com writes:

<< But in the final analysis, my advice to budding washboard players is
basically count to two and hit something (three if you're playing a waltz). >>

That is how I learned. Larry Wright came by one Saturday afternoon and took
me shopping. First we went to a hardware store and bought a washboard then to
a fabric store and bought some thimbles. That evening he hung a the washboard
around my neck, told me to hit it on the 2 & 4 and there I was playing in
front of a few hundred people.

I really enjoyed it but never liked all the bells and whistles and stuff.
Ralf gave me the number of a guy who made the stainless steel insert for me
and I also added a woodblock and had a little splash cymbal attached. I no
longer play as it is just to hard to get the wheelchair in and out of most
gigs much less up on a stage but once in a while at home I will play along
with some of my favorite songs. I never like doing solos either but just
wanted to provide a good rhythm for the group I was playing with.

Hugs

Judie