[Dixielandjazz] Touching The Audience - Wooden Nickel JB

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 10 11:32:27 PST 2003

Gary Wallbridge opined:

<<No matter how good an entertainer is if he or she can't touch the
audience
then that person might just as well hang up their axe and go home!>>

Then Jack & Nan Thomas commented:

<Probably why the aforementioned Brady McKay and WNJB did that!!

NOT  :-)   :-( >

Gary, Jack, Nan & List mates:

Perhaps this is satire? Given the "NOT" and the smiley and then sad
faces?

Kind of like Joe Levinson's post of a week or so ago saying that the
only reason people become jazz musicians is because they're lives are
unfocused and they are unable to do anything else.  Joe gave us a hint
that it was indeed satire by the title of his reply: "A Modest Answer"
Here is what he wrote to me off list about it.

"I read that dreadful, sanctimonious editorial about benefits for
musicians, etc.
and immediately my brain, still able to function brilliantly, was
reminded of
Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal," where he suggests barbecuing Irish

babies to keep down the population and feed the starving.  So when I
finished
writing my diatribe I decided to title it "A Modest Reply," leaving a
clue as
big as a house to the reader that he was in for what we who see and
sneer
laughingly call SATIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Isn't Jack & Nan's post similar tongue in cheek?

Cheers,
Steve (beware the put-on) Barbone