[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Insularity

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sun Feb 9 17:02:41 PST 2003

>So, Tom, all of this to acknowledge your concern at our insularity and
to try and explain it.
>Jim Beebe

Jim, the thought on our fathers or grandfathers having gone to America &
actually trying to forget where they came from reminds me of my Armenian
grandparents who never, ever said boo to me about the "old country"
after having lived through the 1915 Turkish massacre.  They were
Americans who happened to have a funny accent, that's all.

Another point to make as to why America is insular is the fact that, at
least in the past, the country was pretty much self sufficient.  The
need of the rest of the world wasn't as important as it is today.  We
grew up in that atmosphere.

 I remember sitting in school ignoring the geography teacher.  I had
never been further from home than an 8 hr drive, so why did I care about
the rest of the world.  Now look at me sitting in Madrid!

Travelling is the key to the breakdown of those attitudes.  Even better,
actually living abroad, not in some enclave of your own type, but really
being part of the society.  Opens your eyes, gives you new opinions.

I try not to be close minded, incorporating many different styles into
my life and music.  Wanna hear a Dixie version of Las Ketchup hit?
:>

Jim