[Dixielandjazz] Arturo Sandoval

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 8 13:30:44 PST 2003

List mates:

Whoa, poor Arturo. Getting blasted by folks who are not really familiar
with his music.

Let me opine that taking Arturo Sandoval out of context (listening to
one song, or half a performance) leaves one with a large underestimation
of what this man can do. What he sounds like .If you are interested in
learning about what he can do, please visit:
http://www.arturosandoval.com

Once the home page loads, click the record to enter. Wait to let that
load. Then click discography which takes a while to load before you can
open it.

Then, Click "listen" on the following albums.

"I Remember Clifford"
You will hear Cherokee (Koko) in four part harmony over dubbed by
Sandoval on trumpet & fluegelhorn. Technically brilliant and a pretty
damn good representation of what Brownie was about. The rest of the
album is superb and if you like Brownie, buy it.

"Dreams Come True"
You will hear a pretty tune "To Diz" indicating that Sandoval can play
soft and with feeling as well as anybody you care to name.

"Americana"
You will hear three American Pop tunes well done.

You can also hear Cuban Jazz which Bob Romans did not like and a host of
other stuff by clicking "listen" on all the other albums.

Then after listening to his music, perhaps you will have gotten a better
idea of what this man can do, or cannot do. But until then, without
hearing him fully, it is pointless to excoriate him.

Whether or not he should, or should not reprise Bix or Louis or anybody
for that matter, is up to him. But let me say that I am glad he recorded
"I Remember Clifford", and certainly glad that I bought it. My only
point is that this man has the musical talent and the musical feel to do
most anything to which he sets his mind. And, for one, I am glad that a
"virtuoso" such as he,  is interested enough in early jazz, OKOM, to
even think about paying homage to it.

How often we bitch on the DJML that the "modern" guys don't understand
OKOM, nor do they care to. Then along comes Sandoval to pay homage, and
then we bitch about him? What is with that?

Listen, and then make an informed judgment.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone