[Dixielandjazz] Arturo Sandoval

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 7 21:46:16 PST 2003

Bob Romans and I disagree on Arturo Sandoval. I love Cuban Jazz and all
the percussion and loudness. I am also a big admirer of Sandoval's
virtuosity and see him live every chance I get, sitting close enough to
ruin my eardrums. Saw him two weeks after 9/11 when he ended his program
by proclaiming his love for the United States and talking about how
fortunate he was that Dizzy Gillespie helped him get out of Cuba and
obtain asylum here.. People were starting to leave figuring it was over
and he said.  "Wait, we have one more number."

He turned a music stand around and there was the American Flag. He then
proceeded to play three chorus' s of "America The Beautiful." One very
soft low register, one an octave up and the last another octave up, with
piano / guitar / drum backing. He got louder and louder as he finished
and didn't miss or crack a note, even way up in altissimo. I have to
tell you that there wasn't a dry eye among us in the house. Thunderous
applause and an outpouring of love for this man like you've never seen.

Regarding whether or not he can portray Bix accurately, let me be the
first to say that I think he can probably play Bix better than any
living musician can.  In fact I think he can play exactly like whomever
he wants. He is a virtuoso, great feel for the music and a determination
to succeed that equals or exceeds that of anybody I know. He studies the
music and the musicians he wants to play and he gets into it. At least
that what I hear in his music, and I have a lot of it.

So I can hardly wait for his interpretations of those early jazz
musicians. He may just surprise us all. And, of course, I eagerly await
his protrayal of Louis thinking that finally we'll get a rendition by a
muso that can produce Louis' fire and energy, instead of just playing
the notes.

Cheers
Steve Barbone

BTW. I guarantee he can play louder than Buddy Bolden ever thought about
too.