[Dixielandjazz] Jazz & Death

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 6 11:59:08 PST 2003

Dear Fred,
Congratulations!
Well done!!!!
I am enjoying your book immensely, and believe it should be required reading for
all DJMLers.
I ordered my copy from Borders here in Sydney.
Prompt service, but (wow) not cheap with our current A$/US$ exchange rate.
The book is not anywhere near as morbid a Jazz Jerry suggested - and I am sure
he would actually enjoy it.
Easy to read, well researched (with easy to understand medical explanations),
extensive chapter notes and an impressive bibliography. A book to pick up and
delve into at any time.
What those of us serious about OKOM expect, but frequently do not get from
today's self-proclaimed experts.
It certainly clears up a few 'myths'.
But will future writers/researchers include the new facts in their works?
I hope so, but only if they know your fine book exists.
Copying this to several mailing lists is one of my ways of spreading the word.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: Thank you for the mention in the 'acknowledgments'.
It is great to seen one's name in print.
But I did not contribute anything to deserve the kind inclusion.
PPS: For those interested.
"Jazz and Death - Medical Profiles of Jazz Greats".
Frederick J Spencer, MD.
University Press of Mississippi/Jackson. 2002.
Hardback. ISBN 1-57806-453-8
And no! I am not on commission.   8>)