[Dixielandjazz] Vocalists

norrie.thomson norrie.thomson at btopenworld.com
Tue Feb 4 16:03:45 PST 2003

As a non-musician, I find it quite humorous to read the comments regarding
vocalists and their merits and de-merits; who is better than whom - is Ella
better than Sassy etc.

I feel that there are many musicians who should look in their own back-yard
first.  I have nemrous recordings and listen to numerous bands live (of all
nationalities) where some musician in the band feels that he (seldon a
'she') can add something to the band's performance by 'singing  '.  In very
few instances does this enhance the performance, in fact, usually the
opposite.

I once heard someone ask a band band leader why he sang adding thsat Frank
Sinatra didn't try to play the trumpet!

Perhaps those of you who vocalise should listen to yourseleves and then
listen to Ella or Cleo or any other top class vocalists. Perhaps then you'll
learn to appreciatre what proper vocalists should sound like.

Norrie Thomson
Edinburgh
Scotland