[Dixielandjazz] Jazz singers

briantowers briantowers at msn.com
Tue Feb 4 10:19:51 PST 2003

I  Agree wholeheartedly with Tony.
Classic jazz would be so much the poorer without the influence of the great
jazz era singers - Ethel Waters; Bessie Smith; Ma Rainey; Billie H; Annette
Hanshaw; Peggy Lee,  to name but a few.    As someone has already said, the
lyric so often makes the number.    Taking a post-war example, look at the
way the young Ottilie Patterson enhanced the Chris Barber band in the
1950/60's.
Cheers,
Brian Towers,