[Dixielandjazz] Johnny Dankworth

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Mon Feb 3 12:58:26 PST 2003

>Yes she's British and still swinging. She is married to the Sax
>player Johnny Dankworth

Aha!  So it IS the same Dankworth as the Big Band from the 50's/60's
era.
He played a tasty clarinet, especially on a really fun arrangement of
Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone, which Cleo did as an encore.
She went off stage slowly, waving her hand, at the end & singing without
a mike, although her voice was picked up...drifting off as she went...by
the drum mikes.  Fun way to get off stage!

There was some really good scat with sax or clarinet going on, each
playing/singing in unison.  Really together.  And, most important,
really swinging.  The whole concert was a nice surprise for me.  Fun to
hear something new, even if it's just new to you, for once.

Jim