[Dixielandjazz] Re: For our Central and South American List Mates

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 30 15:38:34 PST 2003

> From: "James Kashishian" <kash at ran.es>
>

> Steve wrote the above subject line, then made the following comment to
> me.........
>
> Kash, you might find some of this music adaptable to your band's
> presentation in Spain. I think you might enjoy the music also. I'm
> pretty sure your audience would.
>
> ........Steve, I know you are not confusing Spain with South America,
> although many Americans do arrive at our restaurants in Spain expecting
> to eat enchiladas & tacos.  We only use tacos to hammer into the walls
> to later put a screw into to hang a picture....it=B4s a small, plastic
> piece!).     :>

No, I am not confusing Spain with South America. Just thought there might be a
tie or two between Spain and Cuba, neither of which is South American. Last I
remember, early 1898, just about when jazz was born, there was such a tie. ;-)

> As to your suggestion about using a Boleros, etc., I think I'll back
> away from that one.  Our trumpeter played with Prez Prado, so we could
> certainly carry it off, but most of the bands  listed in the jazz clubs
> here (except our band) are labelled "Latin Jazz", and are heavy on the
> percussion, etc.  Wouldn't like to get labelled up with that crowd!  We
> do a "chotis" called "Madrid" (written by a Mexican!), but that's as far
> as we go (unless you want to count the verse to St. Louis Blues"!!    :>
> We also do a percussion heavy version of Caravan, and Hindustan (which
> we call "El Africano").

I don't think I did, and certainly did not mean to suggest Boleros, just meant
that you might find something interesting if you listened to this Cuban Band
and singer, via the recent CD releases. Heck, even Barbone Street plays a Latin
tinged version of "Spain" and the Norte Americanos (spelling?) love it. I
figured from listening to your own excellent CDs that your musical tastes were
broad and that a little Afro Cuban Dixieland might be fun for you. In the same
spirit that you cite "Madrid", "Caravan" and "Hindustan" above.

> Thanks for thinking 'bout us, though.  We recently did a 6 nite gig, and
> for the fun of it, I purposely chose tunes so as not to repeat a single
> tune in the 6 nites, so we're not lacking much on our song list.  (Those
> are all head arrangements.)

You are welcome. Didn't mean, by any stretch, to suggest your repertoire needed
additions. Was just thinking fun. Bless you on head arrangements. I agree
completely and do virtually nothing but head arrangements in all the music that
I now play from bop to straight ahead to Dixieland. Roughly about 1800 songs.
Having too much fun to change back to section work.

Happy New Year, Keep Swinging,
Steve