[Dixielandjazz] The Melody Maker

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Dec 29 15:00:30 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/29/03 3:32:56 AM Pacific Standard Time, TBW504 at aol.com
writes:

> . Although the MM was principally
> aimed at dance band musicians and their followers it did provide the only
> regular service for jazz enthusiasts with gig listings and record reviews
> however
> flawed. When the ME was relaunched as the NME , aimed at the growing youth
> market with purchasing power and a taste for rock and roll, the decline of
> the MM
> became one of the longest death rattles in history.

Hummm!    Very Interesting,

Gives further credence to the heretofore discussions on this list about the
demise of Jazz music in general.

MM was for DANCE BAND MUSICIANS AND THEIR FOLLOWERS,

Since many Jazz Musicians went the other way and insisted upon being concert
style only players and insisted that their audiences be less fun loving and
rowdy free spending youth.

It is no wonder the youth abandoned Jazz for Rock & Roll which was DANCE
music and most of it remains so today.

Now if we all just went out and gave the kids today some really good hot
dance music we might be surprised at the acceptance.  But no that would not be hip
and or Jazz, as many folks like to describe it.

Cheers,

Tom (Dance your Ass off) Wiggins