[Dixielandjazz] Champagne Charlie

Ingemar Wågerman gotariver at goteborg.utfors.se
Thu Dec 25 18:27:19 PST 2003

Champagne Charlie was one of the secular tunes that the Salvation Army used in the 19 century. When the founder William Booth heard the tune "Champagne Charlie" he said: "Why should the devil have all the best tunes?"

Some examples:

"Champagne Charlie" = "Bless His name, He sets me free";
"Pretty Louise" = "Living beneath the Shade of the Cross"
"I traced her little footsteps in the Snow" = "O the Blood of Jesus Cleanses White as Snow"
"Minnie darling, Come and Wander" = "Blessed Saviour, Now behold me."
The old Log Cabin in the Lane" = "I've found a friend in Jesus" ("He's the Lily of the Valley")

Any additions welcome!

Ingemar Wagerman
Gota River Jazzmen
Gothenburg / Sweden