[Dixielandjazz] Re: Papa John Gordy

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 23 09:53:41 PST 2003

Dear Mike,
I have a John Gordy piano solo "Salty Dog Rag" on Herwin 404 - an LP called
'Piano Ragtime Of The Fifties'. The notes of which say ''Salty Dog Rag" was
the Nashville Poppa John Gordy's idea of folk ragtime at its stomping best."
Poppa (note spelling) John Gordy's band (no name given) recorded 2 LPs for
RCA Victor in the 1950s at least one of which was made in Nashville, Tenn.
in 1955. I have details and personnel for one of them, if wanted.
"Santa Plays The Trombone In The North Pole Band" was also recorded by tpter
George Jackson's Jazz Band on 9 Aug 1964 in Macclesfield, England and
released on Jazzology J-9, 'Let's Have An Old Fashioned Christmas'. I
suspect that this is an English label, not the one run by our mate George
Buck.
I also have tune/personnel details if wanted.
Kind regards,
Bill.