[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ascona Festival

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 20 16:03:50 PST 2003

> Janie McCue Lynch <janie51 at socal.rr.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
> >"Dave Richoux remarked:
> >If you don't believe Steve, go to http://www.jazzascona.com
> >and look at the list of bands and musicians - a great mix of well
> >established OKOM bands that have been playing the US Festival circuits for
> >years along with a whole bunch of bands you probably never heard of but have
> >to be doing something right to play in this kind of a festival. "
>
> And also note that Ms. Candye Kane and her band are featured performers and
> are given good reviews.

Careful Janie. Such truths will immediately get you in trouble. ;-)

Yes, Miss Candye Kane is a seasoned performer. She knows how to use her assets well, including stories about her
background and immediately endears herself to the audience, both young and old. She is perceived as a sexy, torchy, blues
singer rather than your usual overweight person. And to top, it off, she is a good blues singer, who can growl like Janis
Joplin when the occasion demands. And she is honest about it. What you see is what you get.

My kind of lady in more ways than one.

Yes, Play at Ascona. PLAY WHERE THE YOUNG PEOPLE ARE: Reminds me of a Mel Torme comment not too long before he passed. He
had written an article blaming the media, and the record moguls for attempting to kill jazz by over promoting rock and
folk, and for not making jazz records.

Whether he was right or wrong matters little. The issue matters a lot because:

How the hell we can expect young people to love this music if they never get the chance to hear it?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone