[Dixielandjazz] Weird Gigs

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 20:29:26 PST 2003

We played a few political gigs over the years, including a wierd one where
the (in)famous Ken Livingston, now Mayor of London but then a left-wing
firebrand known as "Red Ken" was due to address a protest march rally of
union workers. We duly assembled at the start point for the march, but 30
minutes after the scheduled starting time, there was just the band, five or
six union organisers, Mr Livingston and his minder and three bona fide
protest marchers. The chief organiser kept asking us to wait, there would be
a crowd along any minute, but no-one else turned up. After a while, the band
made a unilateral decision and set off for the rally point. Once there, Mr
Livingston commenced his address, but I'm sad to say that the band (having
been paid) didn't stay to hear the speeches. However, a hundred yards away
we discovered a small pub under the railway arches, went in for a swift pint
and ended up in an impromptu jam session with happy patrons enjoying the
music and a delighted landlady who kept free beer coming across the bar for
the next couple of hours. Ain't democracy great!!

Mike "Karl Marx knew my grandfather" Durham.