[Dixielandjazz] Ralph Pollock

Ingemar Wågerman gotariver at goteborg.utfors.se
Wed Dec 17 07:54:56 PST 2003

Listmates,

I have tried in vain to find information about a Ralph Pollock, who recorded two tunes in New Orleans in 1927. He is not in any of the important  discographies; I don´t even know what instrument he played. CAN ANYBODY HELP, PLEASE??

I have found the following hits on Google:

1.) Ron Sweetman: Recording Activity in New Orleans in the Twenties: 27/10/26 Ralph Pollock and his Orchestra
W 145027-2 Why Should I Say That I'm Sorry (When Nobody's Sorry But Me) Co 1197-D
W 145028-3 An Old Guitar And An Old Refrain Co 1197-D

2.) "Collegiate" Sheet Music. "It features a cartoonman smoking a pipe and a photo of Ralph Pollock and the Victorians…" (My comment: I have a copy of this Sheet Music, but the photo is Paul Zimms Orchestra, not Ralph Pollock!? Anybody knows "the Victorians"?)

3.) ALAN COOPERMAN RECORD AUCTIONS 319. Co 1197- Ralph Pollock O- An Old Guitar & Old Refrain/ Why Should I Say I'm Sorry E- the only record by this New Orleans band- good A..and hard to find! (This proves that the record exists! - unfortunately I was too late...)

4.) "What Do We Do On A Dew-Dew-Dewy Day featured By Ralph Pollock -Howard Johnson, Chas. Tobias and Al. Sterman - - Irving Berlin Inc. - 1927

5.) Sheet Music "Nighty Night Dear" by Saunders - Ash. Performer: Ralph Pollock. Chicago 1926.

6.) I have also seen that Ralph Pollock's Orchestra played in a movie with Louise Brooks, 1927. No further info available.

7.) There is also a drummer Ralph Pollock (or Pollack??), who recorded with the Barbara Carroll Trio in 1955 (RCA Bluebird). I don´t know if it is the same person.

8.) There are also some other persons called Ralph Pollock on the web, but completely without jazz connections.

Ingemar Wagerman
Gothenburg Sweden
Gota River Jazzmen http://listen.to/gotariver