[Dixielandjazz] Re: Fat Tuesday

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Tue Dec 16 20:22:38 PST 2003

The Mardi Gras thing in New Orleans (and a lot of the rest of the state
of Louisiana) actually happens for several weeks ahead of "Fat
Tuesday." There are balls, parades, coronations and all sorts of other
stuff going on at any possible time. It is probably the biggest tourist
$ draw in New Orleans but there are some football and a Jazz Festival
things that are starting to come close.

BTW, the tradition is also part of the culture of many European
countries, and don't forget the Caribbean islands and Brazil where
millions of people are part of the show!

( I recently saw the "street" in Rio where the biggest Carnival show
happens - Grandstand seats set up like a Football Arena pulled into a
line are there permanently...)

Dave Richoux