[Dixielandjazz] Pitch

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 16 12:27:55 PST 2003

Most of us in Barbone Street are now tuning electronically as our ears
age. That way we know we are in tune as Bass and guitar always tune
electronically. Only exceptions to electronic tuning are trombone &
drums.

We are amazed at how pitch changes with temperature, humidity conditions
and during the gig as the horns warm up.

Best compliment we get is from folks who tell us that unison passages
(e.g. guitar & clarinet sometimes) and other instruments at various
other times are: "so in tune." Had a Julliard teacher tell us that
earlier this year after clarinet and guitar played a unison IN chorus on
"Hackensack".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone