[Dixielandjazz] Pitch perception

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Tue Dec 16 10:04:18 PST 2003

Bill Gunter wrote on 16/12/2003 04:31:27:

> Hi All,
>
> John Farrell writes:
>
> >I've often wondered how uniformly we perceive pitch, anyway.
>
> Must be pretty uniform otherwise symphony orchestras would never be able
> tune up. If the oboe player cranked out an A and half the orchestra
heard
> something else that would be really ugly!

I'm not sure this is what John meant. I think it would be
interesting to know how things sounded if you could attach
your own brain to someone else's aural system.

You have been told that the sound you hear when you play
an Eb is called Eb, but does it still sound the same when
you hear it through somebody else's ears?

Andy "No you can't borrow my ears" Ling