[Dixielandjazz] Your Best Gig

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Mon Dec 15 08:41:43 PST 2003

Listmates:
I'd be interested in hearing about "Your Best Gig."  I once asked the great
jazz and classical guitarist Laurindo Almeida about his own best gig.

He reported that he was flown from LA to NYC, first class, put up at a first
class hotel and paid a handsome sum ( didn't say how much.) He was
contracted to play 15 minutes for a corporate function.  He said he arranged
beautiful numbers and his performance went exactly seventeen minutes.  When
he finished, the corporate person who had made all the contractural
arrangements for him said only, " You played two minutes too long!" But he
was paid well and went away happy and satisfied with his performance.
>From: "Mike Marois" <MikeMarois at HireLiveMusicians.com>
>Best New Year's Eve gig:  Back in the 80's, a banjo player and I strolled
>through the Fabulous Forum in Inglewood CA. playing and eclectic mix of
>Dixieland and Country Western as a warm up for a Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton
>Concert.  The pay was incredible and I was out and on my way to several
>parties by 8:00pm.  I haven't tried to top that one yet.

Norman Vickers
Pensacola