[Dixielandjazz] New Years eve redux...

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 00:46:43 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/14/03 1:21:09 PM Pacific Standard Time,
s3856lpa at webtv.net writes:

> Seems we have a cadre of lecturers on this list who wish to judge all by
> the yardstick of their own ethical prohibitions.
>
> Enough, already.
>
> Harold Smth

Not a matter of ethics at all Harold,  just reality,

You said you get a roast beef dinner worth 16.95, a cheap bottle of
Champagne, worth $5.00,    That same cheap bottle of champagne in any bar on any night
of the week will still cost you $25.00.

Now if you deduct the cost of these two items and say $5.00 for some funny
hats and noise makers, the bartenders salary which is not several hundred
dollars even though he has to work an 8 hour shift.

factor in the low wages for the clean up crew, and the normal wage for the
staff,

Now what really drives up the costs of this package is the inflated price
they must pay for usually a very mediocre band of substitutes since most of them
have divided up their groups to go get all those High paid New Year's Eve
gigs.

I always get my money's worth, I stay home open a good $80.00 bottle of
cognac, cook a gourmet meal, drink a bottle or two of really good wine with dinner,
and sit back and watch all the crazy young folks freezing their asses off in
Times Square waiting to see a dumb ass ball drop, then try to navigate through
hours of traffic filled with drunk drivers, and not get stopped by the police
myself.  Not to mention watching the city blow off fireworks at $10,000.00 a
minute of the taxpayers money.

Musical content"

"Is that all there is?"   Yep fraid so, it really ain't what it was hyped up
to be now is it?

I gave it up twenty years ago.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins