[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 12, Extra Pay for lNew Year's Eve

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 17:24:35 PST 2003

In a message dated 14/12/03 21:21:09, s3856lpa at webtv.net writes:

<< Please pardon me for being one of those greedy, money-grubbing,
obscenely avaricious musicians who expect to get a few hundred bucks for
playing on New Year's Eve. >>

And pardon me for having more sense than attending the sort of function where
I have to pay though the nose because the band are being paid over the odds
for what really is another working night. What's so special about 31st December
anyway?

Next year I will probably be attending a New Year Jazz break in my
professional capacity of selling CDs. If I am behind my stall during the evening of New
Years Eve do I put my prices up because of the occasion? Only if I want an
evening of not selling anything and never being asked to return! The punters will
probably be looking for special post-Christmas bargain prices! (yes we still
call it Christmas on this side of the Atlantic even if it is really a pagan
mid-winter festival which was hijacked by a spurious religious group who wanted
a convenient existing event to celebrate the mythical birth of some minor
prophet!) :-)

Listening to White Chrstmas by the Chris Barber band I remain your humble
servant:

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.