[Dixielandjazz] Now New Years Eve Fees.

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Dec 14 14:54:14 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/14/03 10:58:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jseiger at rochester.rr.com writes:

> In general...musicians are underpaid (or at least consider ourselves
> underpaid:) 364 days of the year. And I have heard many musicians say that.... "new
> years eve is the one night a year that we actually get paid what we deserve."
>
> Looking at it that way, it is not so much chargin three times as much on new
> years eve as it is not giving them a 2/3 discount on that one night :)
>
> Keep Swingin,
> Jon :)

Hi Jon:

Not all musicians are underpaid, and on the contrary many of them are over
paid for the work that they do, just like Baseball and football star players are
over paid if you look at the situation based upon hourly wages.

Once a group moves up into the ticket selling draw power league and is
perceived as being a top draw that can command higher pay because they are
attracting more customers who will pay to see and hear them.  The game changes and they
can't be viewed any longer as just musicians, so it gets a bit muddy when we
speak about musicians in a general sense and try to equate what they make as a
standard for an industry.

When a group makes large amounts of money and are contributing substantially
to the profits of the employer according to reasonable business standards in a
Capitalistic society, they can leverage their share upwards for as long as
they can sustain the draw power and produce the income.  Should they fall in
popularity however, they are often quickly forced upon a downward trend and could
end up back where they started from working for average musicians wages
again, constantly seeking that next big gig.

A few retire while on top, and or change their business strategy to work less
and invest and hold onto their money, unfortunately many do not, this is a
very difficult business with tremendous odds against success, not to mention far
too many competitors in the marketplace.  Therefore if you want to make
really good money as a musician in today's world you had better be better than
average and have a marketable show, not to mention going out and marketing it,
which will be your day gig at which you will put in far more hours than you do on
a stage on any given performance.

I have always said, if you want to know how much your band is worth, simply
organize your own show charge what you think it is worth to yourself, and then
try and sell enough tickets to pay your self that money, plus your advertising
money back, the venue rental, costs of the food and or beverages sold and the
labor to serve them, taxes, licenses, permits etc. and see how much you have
left, It all has to come out of the customers pocket.

Some musicians who are not paid what they are worth should not complain about
it,   :)

I k now plenty of them who fall into that category, actually went out and saw
some of them last night, walked into a club sat down ordered a drink and
waited forty-five minutes for the band to come back from their break after the
first set, If they had been working for me they would have been fired on the
spot.  This was in a club with no cover charge, so it depends solely upon the bar
sales to cover the overhead and pay the band.  If they do not sell enough
drinks then there will be no band.  During the forty-five minute break I saw at
least 1/2 of the customers leave and go around the corner to another club, and
they did not return.  The club did not take in enough money to pay the bands
salary last night and that was on a Saturday night.  The band had also run up an
$80.00 bar tab and did not want to pay it off from their salary either.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins