[Dixielandjazz] Music for the gay trade

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 12 04:59:11 PST 2003

Hi Mike and all,

You wrote (regarding the "gay" thread):

>I really don't understand this concern (or even obsession) with sexuality -
>who gives a damn?

Of course, for openers, especially for the young, sex is the PRIME
DIRECTIVE. Anybody who doesn't "give a damn" about sexuality is probably
either dead or lying.

>Surely it's the music that counts?

OKOM (jazz) is repleat with music full of sexual enuendos (Kitchen Man -
Right Key in the Wrong Key Hole, etc.). We read about musicians who played
in whore houses and grant it to be somewhat of a credential in the creation
of "jazz."  Even the word "JAZZ" is supposed to be based on some vulgar
sexual connotation.

>It would be nice to think that music people at least could rise above this
>"issue" in a way of which the grubbier parts of life (politics, the gutter
>press, etc.) seem incapable.

If you're looking for "nice" jazz may not be the best place to find it. You
should go to the Classics, Baroque, and Rococo music forms. Jazz, on the
other hand (at least in the early days), tended to be down and dirty,
violent and murderous. The lyrics deal in large part with infidelity,
betrayal, sexual double entendres, alcoholism, drug abuse, etc. etc.! The
literature is loaded with it (Atlanta Blues, Frankie and Johnnie, Milenburg
Joys, Willy the Weeper, etc.).

If the establishment is offended by it then it best look elsewhere for
"nice" music. If you think OKOM lyrics can be offensive please go check out
today's lyrics in the Gangsta Rap and Hip Hop genres.

Furthermore . . .

Politics is not in and of itself "grubby." Politics can be the dedicated
profession of he who wishes to serve his country in a sincere effort to
provide a service to his/her fellow citizens (which is, of course your
motive should you choose to run for public office). That some choose to
serve for selfish and corrupt reasons is no reason to paint political
discourse as "grubby."

Also, any reference you make about the "gutter press" is probably directed
at those periodicals with which you disagree. If you agreed with the paper
you read you probably wouldn't include it in the category of "gutter press."
For example, In today's politically polarized milieu any Republican would
characterize a Democratic paper as "grubby" and vice versa.

The first amendment has taken enough battering lately and to ask that
individuals desist from making contributions to a public forum such as the
DJML may be a bit presumptive.

I, personally found the Gay Blade contributions a bit gross here and there,
but on the whole somewhat amusing. I am not offended by the occasional
"dirty joke." Sometimes such jokes are the funniest unless the
reader/listener takes offense anytime sex rears it ugly head.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Real jazz ain't nice" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com